Soft and chewy ginger nuts
- 275g plain flour
- 1 dessertspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 125g butter, softened
- 200g caster sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 4 tablespoons black treacle
- 2 tablespoons caster sugar
Prep:15min › Cook:10min › Extra time:25min › Ready in:50min
- Preheat oven to 180 C / Gas mark 4. Sift together the flour, ginger, bicarbonate of soda, cinnamon, cloves and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and 200g sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg, then stir in the water and treacle. Gradually stir the sifted ingredients into the treacle mixture. Shape dough into walnut sized balls, and roll them in the remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar. Place the biscuits 2 inches apart onto an ungreased baking tray, and flatten slightly.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven. Allow biscuits to cool on baking tray for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely. Store in an airtight container.
Just made these and they are brilliant!! I didn't have any black treacle so substituted it for golden syrup. soooo yummy! Try this if you haven't yet, they are so tasty and easy. - 30 Mar 2012
my mix came out really sloppy, couldn't roll into balls, could this be because I substituted butter with Marg and treacle with honey? how can I remedy this? tried adding more flour - 12 Jul 2012
we could not decide to use brown sugar or caster sugar like the recipe says so we just put half and half and it works perfectly! - 18 Aug 2012