Homemade Mince Pies
- 125g sultanas
- 100g dried currants
- 4 apples - peeled, cored and sliced
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 5 tablespoons orange juice
- 125ml apple juice
- 150g caster sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 recipe pastry
Prep:20min › Cook:30min › Ready in:50min
- Preheat oven to 220 C / Gas mark 7.
- Stir the sultanas, currants, apples, orange zest, orange juice and apple juice together in a pan. Simmer over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until apples are very soft, about 20 minutes. Stir in the sugar, cinnamon and cloves until well blended. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Prepare pastry and cut out circles to line a patty tin. Pour mincemeat the prepared cases. Top with pastry. Pinch and crimp edges to seal the pastry. Pierce the top layer in several places with a fork.
- Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 180 C / Gas mark 4, and bake until top is golden brown, about 30 minutes more. Cool before serving.
These are amazing! By far, the best mince pies I've had. I don't like peel, so it's difficult to find any that I like. I'll definitely be making these every year - 19 Dec 2013