Emily's Famous Chocolate Shortbread Biscuits
- 250g icing sugar
- 50g Dutch process cocoa powder
- 450g plain flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 350g unsalted butter, chilled and cubed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 175g chopped semisweet chocolate
Prep:20min › Cook:10min › Ready in:30min
- Preheat oven to 180 C / Gas mark 4.
- In a large bowl, stir together the icing sugar, cocoa, flour and salt until well blended. Cut in the butter until lumps are no larger than peas. Add eggs and vanilla; mix until a stiff dough forms. It may take a minute to come together.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to .5cm thickness and cut into desired shapes using biscuit cutters. If the dough is too sticky, chill for a little bit. Place biscuits 5cm apart onto an ungreased baking tray.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven, or until the surface appears dry. Allow biscuits to cool for a couple minutes on the baking tray before removing to wire racks to cool completely. When biscuits are completely cool, melt the chocolate over a double boiler or in the microwave. Stir frequently until smooth. Dip cookies or drizzle with the chocolate and place on greaseproof paper to set.
yum, simple and delicious recipe. Does need icing though, I used cream cheese icing with a tablespoon of raspberry jam. Goes really well with these buttery chocolate shortbread biscuits. Will make again for sure! One hint, make sure you use an extra large bowl, there is a lot of dough!! - 17 Feb 2011
for the cocoa powder can you use ordinary cocoa powder oh btw i still havent tried it yet though soz - 28 Nov 2011
followed recipe to the letter and found that the dough was very sticky and hard to roll. had to add a little more flour to stop it from sticking to everything. needs more sugar tbh. - 12 Jul 2012