Creamy Wild Rice and Chicken Soup
Serves : 8
- 1L chicken stock
- 500ml water
- 2 cooked, boneless chicken breast fillets, shredded
- 125g wild rice
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 100g plain flour
- 100g butter
- 500ml double cream
Prep:10min › Cook:20min › Ready in:30min
- In a large pot over medium heat, combine stock, water and chicken. Bring just to boiling, then stir in rice, thyme, bay leaf and garlic. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine salt, pepper and flour. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Reduce heat to low, then stir in flour mixture by tablespoons, to form a roux. Whisk in cream, a little at a time, until fully incorporated and smooth. Cook until thickened, 5 minutes.
- Stir cream mixture into stock and rice. Cook over medium heat until heated through, 10 to 15 minutes. Remove thyme sprigs and bay leaf before serving.
Excellent recipe! I made it exactly as written with the exception of adding a little saute carrot, celery and onion - just a personal preference. Everyone loved it. - 25 Aug 2012