Favourite Ginger Cake
- 100g caster sugar
- 125g butter
- 1 egg
- 225ml treacle
- 300g plain flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons bicarbonate of soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 250ml hot water
Prep:25min › Cook:1hr › Extra time:10min › Ready in:1hr35min
- Preheat oven to 180 C / Gas mark 4. Grease and flour a 23cm (9 in) square tin.
- In a large bowl, cream together the sugar and butter. Beat in the egg, and mix in the treacle.
- In a bowl, sift together the flour, bicarbonate of soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger and cloves. Blend into the creamed mixture. Stir in the hot water. Pour into the prepared tin.
- Bake 1 hour in the preheated oven, until a knife inserted in the centre comes out clean. Allow to cool in tin before serving.
Lovely, light and moist. Seemed like a lot of treacle so substituted a bit for golden syrup. Doubled the amount of ginger too and would still add a bit more next time as I wanted it to be more ginger than treacle! GORGEOUS cake though. Much better than the Jamaican ginger cake you can get in the shops. - 25 Sep 2011
I added 4 teaspoons ginger, 2 teaspoons cinnamon, used golden syrup instead of treacle and made lemon icing to put on top from icing sugar, butter, lemon juice and lemon zest. did not last an hour. - 19 Dec 2011
So pleased, fab and easy recipe! I did the same as others and used half golden syrup, and extra ginger. I also used mixed spice for cloves. End result was perfect, and delicious! - 25 Apr 2012