African peanut soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 large red peppers, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (700g) jar passata
- 2L (3 pints 10 fl oz) vegetable stock
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon chilli powder (optional)
- 170g (6 oz) crunchy peanut butter
- 85g (3 oz) uncooked brown rice
Prep:10min › Cook:50min › Ready in:1hr
- Heat oil in a large stockpot over medium high heat. Cook onions and peppers until lightly browned and tender, stirring in garlic when nearly done to prevent burning.
- Stir in passata, vegetable stock, black pepper and chilli powder. Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
- Stir in rice, cover, and simmer another 15 minutes or until rice is tender. Stir in peanut butter until well blended, and serve.
Altered ingredient amounts. This was really lovely made just as the recipe says. I found it was lifted even further by adding a 2 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar, 2 teaspoons of sugar and a few drops of tabasco right at the end. - 19 Feb 2010
As already said, it really comes together at the end as the peanut butter goes in. Its an unusual taste but once you have tried it you just want more. - 12 Dec 2010
Made this yesterday as a starter for a birthday party. The ingredients seemed a little crazy but the positive reviews made me give it a go. Sure enough it was totally delicious and everybody loved it. I'd suggest it needs a bit longer (we left it in the fridge overnight) for the rice to really soak up all the liquid. Delicious! - 29 Aug 2011