- 500g fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1cm pieces
- 10 rashers bacon
- 2 large ready made pastry cases
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 4 eggs
- 200ml milk
- 150ml double cream
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- salt and pepper to taste
- 200g grated Gruyère or Emmental cheese
Prep:25min › Cook:35min › Ready in:1hr
- Preheat the oven to 200 C / Gas mark 6. Place asparagus in a steamer over 2 to 3cm of boiling water, and cover. Cook until tender but still firm, about 2 to 6 minutes. Drain and cool.
- Place bacon in a large, deep frying pan. Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown. Drain, dice and set aside.
- Brush pastry cases with beaten egg white. Sprinkle diced bacon and chopped asparagus into cases.
- In a bowl, beat together eggs, milk, cream, nutmeg, salt and pepper. Sprinkle grated cheese over bacon and asparagus. Pour egg mixture on top of cheese.
- Bake uncovered in the preheated oven until firm, about 35 to 40 minutes. Let cool to room temperature before serving.
Delicious ! - 20 Feb 2010
Super delicious - salty bacon and ever-healthy asparagus make a great combo that is both tempting and a little bit classy. Quickly made, quickly eaten. Nyomyomyom. - 04 Nov 2012