Red wine beef casserole
- 100g flour
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1kg beef stewing steak, cubed
- 30ml olive oil
- 1 bunch spring onions, green tops removed, finely chopped
- 4 large garlic cloves, crushed
- 500g mushrooms
- 1 bottle red wine
- 3 tablespoons tomato puree
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 beef stock cube
- 4 rashers bacon, chopped
Prep:20min › Cook:3hr15min › Ready in:3hr35min
- Mix the salt, pepper and flour together and coat the meat in the flour. Fry it in the oil for approx 5 minutes or until browned and place in a large casserole dish.
- Preheat oven to 170 C / gas 3.
- Fry the onions in the oil for 3 to 5 mins adding the crushed garlic for the last 2 minutes, then add them both to the meat. Cut mushrooms into quarters and add to the casserole; warm the wine till it’s just bubbling and stir it in.
- Add the tomato puree, bay leaf, beef stock and bacon and mix it all together.
- Cover and cook in preheated oven for approximately 2½ hours, then remove the lid and cook for a further ½ hour.
I made this using the slow cooker for 6 hours. I used half the wine, substituting more with the beef stock. I also added dumplings about five hours in the cooking time which absolutely made the stew the best I ever made. I definitely recommend this recipe! - 08 Apr 2011
very tasty also added carrots and less wine more beef stock (1 pint liquid approx) cooked for about 6 hrs in slow cooker - 02 Nov 2010
Something else. I added dumplings which added a more tasty dimension to the stew as well as bulking it out further. - 08 Apr 2011