Mushroom, spinach and cheese pie
- 325g chopped onions
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 60ml olive oil
- 425g fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 300g spinach - rinsed, stemmed and dried
- 3 eggs
- 375g ricotta cheese
- 150g grated Parmesan cheese
- 230ml soured cream
- 50g dried breadcrumbs
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 125g butter, melted
- 1 packet filo pastry
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds
Prep:40min › Cook:50min › Ready in:1hr30min
- Preheat oven to 190 C / Gas mark 5.
- Saute onion and garlic in oil in large saucepan until onion is translucent. Add mushrooms and spinach and continue cooking until mushrooms have released their juices and spinach has wilted. Continue cooking until liquid has evaporated. Remove from heat.
- Beat eggs slightly in large bowl. Add ricotta and parmesan, soured cream, breadcrumbs and parsley to eggs. Drain excess liquid from vegetables, then add to cheese mixture. Stir until well blended.
- Brush some of melted butter on large baking tray. Count out 6 sheets of filo and carefully lift them up and lay flat on buttered baking tray.
- Spread filling over middle of leaves, leaving a 7cm border all around. Brush edges with butter.
- On top of the filling, lay down 2 sheets of filo at a time, brushing top sheet with butter each time. After 4 pairs, fold corners of all filo sheets up over filling, and brush with butter.
- Lay down 2 more pairs of sheets, buttering top sheet of each pair. Tuck edges under pie, corners first, then sides. Sprinkle top with sesame or poppy seeds.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 50 minutes or until filling is set and filo is crisp and golden. Allow to rest 10 minutes before slicing.
Parmesan cheese is not truly vegetarian, as it contains animal rennet. To make this dish 100% vegetarian, omit the cheese or find a suitable vegetarian substitute made without animal rennet. In supermarkets look for the 'parmesan style hard cheeses' which are suitable for vegetarians.
Great recipe! I used feta instead of ricotta and olive oil to brush the filo instead of butter, to make it healthier. Enjoyed by all, thanks. - 11 Dec 2012
This recipe is really yummy! I made a couple of changes, I replaced the ricotta with 250g's of feta cheese and added 300ml of sour cream instead of 230ml. I also used a different type of cheese instead of parmesan - not sure what it was called but it's far stronger than parmesan so I only added about 120g's and added plenty of salt and pepper. I forgot to strain the spinach and mushroom mixture before adding and it was pretty runny so I needed to add an extra 50g of breadcrumbs before cooking in puff pastry in my electric pie maker The whole family loved them! Will definitely make again. - 15 Dec 2013