Cheesy cannelloni bake
- 1 1/2 (250g) packet cannelloni or large pasta shells
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 4 (250g) tubs ricotta cheese
- 500g grated mozzarella cheese, divided
- 225g grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 tbsp dried parsley or 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 (440g) jar pasta sauce
- 250g sliced fresh mushrooms
Prep:30min › Cook:1hr › Ready in:1hr30min
- Preheat oven to 180 C / Gas mark 4.
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to the boil. Add cannelloni and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente; drain.
- In a large bowl, mix eggs, ricotta, half the mozzarella, half the Parmesan, parsley, salt and pepper until well combined. Stuff cooked shells with ricotta mixture and place in a 23x33cm baking dish.
- In a medium bowl, stir together pasta sauce, mushrooms and reserved mozzarella and Parmesan. Pour over stuffed shells.
- Bake in preheated oven 45 to 60 minutes, until edges are bubbly and shells are slightly set.
Parmesan cheese is not truly vegetarian, as it contains animal rennet. To make this dish 100% vegetarian, omit the cheese or find a suitable vegetarian substitute made without animal rennet. In supermarkets look for the 'parmesan style hard cheeses' which are suitable for vegetarians.
This was really yummy! Only made half, but the two of us wanted to eat it all in one go it was so good. It's quite tricky to stuff the cannelloni though. - 25 Oct 2011