- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 onion, peeled and sliced
- 4 tablespoons vinegar
- 125ml water
- 2 tablespoons dark brown soft sugar
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 8 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons liquid smoke flavouring
Prep:10min › Cook:30min › Ready in:40min
- In a medium saucepan, mix lemon juice, onion, vinegar, water, brown sugar, mustard, ground black pepper, salt, cayenne pepper and vegetable oil. Bring to the boil, then simmer uncovered 20 minutes.
- Stir ketchup, Worcestershire sauce and liquid smoke flavouring into the mixture. Return to the boil, then remove from heat. Refrigerate until ready for use.
Liquid smoke flavouring is available to order online and in some specialty shops. If unavailable, the BBQ sauce can be made without it with good results.
We added black treacle and slightly more Worcestershire sauce, good flavour - 02 Nov 2013
Very tasty warm with pork chops and sweet potato. However liquid smoke flavouring doesn't sound very natural! - so did it without, and still excellent - 21 Oct 2012
Hey I wud love make this BBQ sauce , liquid smoke flavouring from thanks MRS.B - 18 Aug 2012