- 120ml buttermilk
- 1/2 teaspoon dark rum
- 210g flour
- 110g butter, room temperature
- 150g icing sugar
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 100g sugar
- 2 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp dark rum
- zest of 1 lime
- a few mint leaves
- 400g cream cheese
- 50g butter, room temperature
- icing sugar to taste
- 2 teaspoons dark rum
- zest of 3 limes
Prep:45min › Cook:20min › Ready in:1hr5min
- Preheat the oven to 180 C / Gas 4. Line a mini muffin tin with paper cases.
- In a bowl, mix together the buttermilk, rum and vanilla extract. In another bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, mix the butter and sugar on high speed until creamy. Reduce speed and add eggs one at a time, scraping the sides of the bowl after each addition. Add 1/3 of the flour mixture (while mixing at low speed), then 1/2 the buttermilk mixture. Add another 1/3 of the flour, then the remaining buttermilk, and finally the remaining flour. Scrape the edges of the bowl to ensure all of the flour has been incorporated. Pour the mixture into the prepared tin, filling the cases halfway.
- Bake for 20 mins in the preheated oven. Meanwhile, prepare the syrup.
- In a small saucepan, bring water and sugar to the boil. Once the sugar dissolves, remove from heat and add rum. Then add the zest of lime and mint. Let steep for 5 minutes.
- Once the cupcakes are cool, with a small paring knife cut the domed bit off the tops of the cupcakes and set aside. Drizzle the syrup evenly over the cupcakes, place the domed tops back on top of each cupcake, and set aside while you make the icing.
- To make the icing: With the stand (or an electric) mixer, beat the cream cheese and butter at high speed until creamy. Reduce speed and add the icing sugar gradually. Beat for 1 minute until well incorporated. Beat for another 2 minutes at high speed. Scrape the edges of the bowl, add the rum and lime zest. Beat one last time at medium speed.
- Once cupcakes are fully cooled, ice with the cream cheese icing. Decorate with slices of lime and mint leaves.
How to ice cupcakes
Watch our How to ice cupcakes video to see how to dress them up or down for any occasion!
Wow ! These are amazing ! Was naughty and addded a little bit rum , and added more mint to topping then sprinkled with brown sugar. Only issue i had was topping was a little bit runny then i would have liked . They went down a storm at our Burrito and mojito party ! Would definatly make again ! - 30 Apr 2011
Great! Although instead of cutting of the domes and sprinkling with syrup I ended up just piping some syrup into the cupcakes through a hole in the dome and letting it set. And the frosting is a sin I already am considering some cheesecake with layers of that mmmmm... - 05 May 2010