Mincemeat crumb squares
- 300g plain flour
- 200g porridge oats
- 300g dark brown soft sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 350g butter
- 550g prepared mincemeat
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 120g icing sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon milk
Prep:15min › Cook:35min › Ready in:50min
- In large mixing bowl stir together: flour, oats, brown sugar and bicarb. Melt butter or margarine over low heat and stir in until well blended. Set aside 2 mugfuls of this mixture.
- Distribute remaining oat mixture evenly into an ungreased slice tray and pat down. Bake this in a 180 C / Gas 4 oven for 12 minutes.
- Stir lemon OR orange zest into mincemeat. Spread filling carefully over the HOT baked base. Sprinkle the reserved oat mixture over the filling. Pat oat mixture very gently onto filling.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until top is golden. Cool tin on rack. Drizzle with icing once cool.
- To make icing: Mix together icing sugar, 1/4 teaspoon vanilla and 1 to 2 tablespoons milk. Add milk a little at a time to obtain drizzling consistency.
this is very easy and very yummy,i didnt put icing on mine as it was sweet enough,im never making mince pices again,this was so much easier and so much more tasty - 03 Dec 2011
Very easy and tasty! - 08 Sep 2011
Didn't have some of the ingredients so made it as follows: 300g self-raising flour (instead of plain); 200g oats; 150g white castor sugar; 2 tablespoons honey; 350g butter; 400g mincemeat. Separated the mixture into two loaf tins to bake, didn't bother with icing and it was delicious. Have frozen one for later. - 16 Dec 2012