Stem ginger cookies
- 100g caster sugar
- 175g unsalted butter
- 1 egg white
- 2 tablespoons treacle
- 3 tablespoons chopped crystallised stem ginger
- 250g plain flour
- 1 teaspoon bicarb of soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 5 tablespoons demerara sugar for decoration
- 5 tablespoons icing sugar for decoration
Prep:20min › Cook:15min › Ready in:35min
- Preheat oven to 180 C / Gas 4. Grease 2 large baking trays.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar. Add egg white and treacle; mix until fluffy. Stir in the crystallised stem ginger. Sift together the flour, bicarb, salt, cinnamon, ground ginger and cloves; stir into the egg mixture. When dough starts to come together, mix with your hands to form a smooth dough.
- Form dough into 2.5cm balls and roll in demerara sugar. Place balls on a baking tray 5cm apart, and press down with the bottom of a glass dipped in sugar. Bake in the preheated oven for 12 to 15 minutes, cookies should be golden brown. Let the cookies cool on the baking tray for a few minutes before moving to a rack to cool completely. Dip 1/2 of each cookie into icing sugar for decoration.
Make perfect cookies every time with our How to make cookies guide!
Very easy to make, I used twice as much stem ginger as I like a good blast! You could also use the syrup from the stem ginger instead of the treacle. - 29 Oct 2012
Great stem ginger biscuits. Perfect amount of ginger for my taste! - 09 Apr 2012