Baingan Bharta (Aubergine Curry)
- 1 large aubergine
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 tablespoon minced ginger root
- 1/2 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 tomato, diced
- 110g (4 oz) low-fat plain yoghurt
- 1 fresh green chilli, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- half bunch fresh coriander, finely chopped
Prep:15min › Cook:45min › Ready in:1hr
- Preheat oven to 230 C / Gas mark 8.
- Place aubergine on a medium baking tray. Bake 20 to 30 minutes until tender. Remove from heat and allow to cool, then peel and chop.
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Mix in cumin seeds and onion. Sauté until onion is tender.
- Stir in ginger, garlic, curry powder and tomato, and cook for 1 minute. Stir in yoghurt. Mix in aubergine and chilli, and season with salt. Cover, and cook 10 minutes over high heat.
- Remove cover, reduce heat to low, and continue cooking about 5 minutes. Garnish with coriander to serve.
Something else. Next time, I will prick the Aubergine before putting it in to roast, after 20mins the Aubergine exploded and blew the cooker door open. - 19 Apr 2010
just a wee hint, I would cut the eggplant into chunks before roasting as I too have experienced them exploding, albeit within the oven - 09 Jan 2012
Altered ingredient amounts. I added some left over cooked chickpeas - 04 Apr 2011