Amy's apple pie
- 200g flour
- 125ml vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons cold milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 150g caster sugar
- 3 tablespoons plain flour
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 60g plain flour
- 6 apples, cored and sliced
- 100g caster sugar
- 125g butter
Prep:25min › Cook:45min › Ready in:1hr10min
- Preheat oven to 180 C / Gas 4.
- To make base: In a large bowl, mix together 200g flour, oil, milk, 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar and salt until evenly blended. Pat mixture into a 24cm pie dish, spreading the dough evenly over the bottom and up sides. Crimp edges of the dough around the perimeter.
- To make filling: Mix together 150g sugar, 3 tablespoons flour, cinnamon and nutmeg. Sprinkle over apples and toss to coat. Spread evenly in unbaked pastry case.
- To make topping: Using a pastry blender, mix together 60g flour, 100g sugar and butter until evenly distributed and crumbly in texture. Sprinkle over apples.
- Put pie in the oven on a baking tray to catch the juices that may spill over. Bake 45 minutes.
Apple pie tips
To check the doneness of the pie filling, insert a knife into the centre of the pie. If it meets with little or no resistance, the pie is done.
If the pie is not quite done but the top or edges are becoming too dark, loosely cover the top of the pie with aluminium foil to shield it from the heat.
Once the pie is done baking, let the pie cool to room temperature before slicing to allow the pie filling to set.