Foolproof apple pie
- 125ml apple juice
- 100g sugar
- 125g butter
- 6 apples - peeled, cored and sliced
- 100g sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornflour
- 1 recipe pastry for a 23cm pie
Prep:30min › Cook:35min › Ready in:1hr5min
- Preheat oven to 180 C / Gas 4. Roll out top and bottom sheets of pastry for pie, and line a 23cm pie dish with one.
- Combine the apple juice, 100g sugar and the butter in a saucepan and heat until melted. Add the apples and cook until fruit is tender.
- Combine 100g sugar with the cornflour. Stir into the fruit mixture, then cook until thickened. Cool then pour into the pastry case. Cover with the top sheet of pastry and seal edge.
- Bake in the preheated oven until pastry is golden brown.
Apple pie tips
To check the doneness of the pie filling, insert a knife into the centre of the pie. If it meets with little or no resistance, the pie is done.
If the pie is not quite done but the top or edges are becoming too dark, loosely cover the top of the pie with aluminium foil to shield it from the heat.
To add shine and sparkle to your apple pie, thin 4 tablespoons of golden syrup with very hot water. When the pie is done, brush the thinned syrup over the top of the pastry. You can add granulated sugar or demerara sugar at this time. Return the pie to the oven for 2 to 3 minutes to let the glaze dry and set.
Once the pie is done baking, let the pie cool to room temperature before slicing to allow the pie filling to set.