Foolproof sponge cake
- 340g (12 oz) self raising flour
- 280g (10 oz) caster sugar
- 280g (10 oz) butter/marg
- 5 eggs
- 3 tablespoons milk
Prep:15min › Cook:1hr30min › Extra time:15min › Ready in:2hr
- Pre-heat the oven to 150 C / Gas 2. Grease and line (or grease and flour) a 20cm (8 in) square or round tin and set aside.
- Sieve flour into large mixing bowl, add all other ingredients and mix with electric mixer on slow speed until all ingredients are blended, then increase to fast speed and mix for another 2 or so minutes, when you have a smooth batter (it will be quite thick/stiff).
- Pour into already prepared tin, place in centre of oven and cook for about 1 hour 15 mins to 1 hour 30 mins; test with skewer if it comes out clean cake is done.
Loved this cake but could anyone help me i have a 10inch cake tin and im unsure about how to work the recipe out to fill the tin can anyone help????? - 06 Feb 2012
Just made this for a two tier wedding cake 10" and 8" and one made for a taster cake for home, great will use it again used one and a half times the recipe for large one baked for 2 hours smaller one was baked for one and half hours, my oven temp gets quite hot so I baked on a lower shelf and wrapped the tins with a sheet of brown paper. lovely cake came out 3" deep - 01 May 2012
This is an excellent recipe, I doubled it to make a 10inch birthday cake...had a bit left over so made a few cupcakes as well. I cooked the big cake for 2hrs on 140 and it turned out perfect. fantastic recipe thankyou. - 14 Feb 2013