Microwave clootie dumpling
- 300ml (1/2 pt) water or milk
- 125g (4 1/2 oz) dark brown soft sugar
- 125g (4 1/2 oz) margarine or lard
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons mixed spice
- 450g (1 lb) mixed dried fruit
- 225g (1/2 lb) plain flour
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 2 eggs, beaten
Prep:15min › Cook:9min › Ready in:24min
- In pot, place water, sugar, margarine, cinnamon, spice and fruit. Mix ingredients, bring to boil and simmer for 3 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, line your pudding bowl with the cling film. Sieve the flour and soda together. Add the eggs and pour your cooled fruit mix into the flour. Mix well together and pour into prepared bowl. DO NOT COVER. Cook for 9 minutes on full power.
- Serve with custard or cream. Lovely with whisky pored over top and flamed with whipped cream.
There is NO proven link between microwaving with cling film or any other plastics and an increase in cancer risk. This article from Cancer Research explains : http://info.cancerresearchuk.org/healthyliving/cancercontroversies/Plasticbottles/ - 31 Dec 2011
Please do not use clingfilm in a microwave or any plastic as there is evidence the heat makes the plastic carcogenic (can cause cancer) - 05 Oct 2009