Pumpkin loaf cake
- 200g (7 oz) plain flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoons bicarbonate of soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 255g (9 oz) pureed pumpkin
- 200g (7 oz) dark brown soft sugar
- 110ml (4 fl oz) buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
Prep:10min › Cook:1hr › Ready in:1hr10min
- Preheat oven to 180 C / Gas mark 4.
- Sift the flour, bicarbonate of soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg into a large bowl.
- Mix in the pumpkin, brown sugar, buttermilk, egg and butter until well blended. Pour into a 23x12cm (9x5 in) loaf tin and smooth the top.
- Bake for 1 hour in preheated oven, or until a cocktail stick inserted into the centre comes out clean.
You can find tinned 100% pumpkin puree at Waitrose, via Ocado or in specialty shops. You can also make your own with this recipe.
Used different ingredients. Yummy! I tried this recipe to use up some extra fresh pumpkin puree, and it turned out great! I added sliced almonds to the first batch and chopped pecans to the second. Also, I used 1/2 tsp. cloves and 1/2 tsp. ginger in the first batch to replace the nutmeg (still used cinnamon). I also added 1 tsp. vanilla to the second batch. Both batches were great! Pumpkin doesn't have much flavour, so it's all in the spices! - 14 Jul 2008
I roasted butternut squash to use and iced with a cream cheese frosting flavoured with a bit of nutmeg. A definite winner. - 19 May 2011
Made this twice already, and I love it! I made a few slight changes: I added crushed walnuts to give it some crunchiness, and used two tablespoons of vegetable oil instead of butter, to make it a little lighter. - 23 Oct 2012