Baked Rice Pudding
- 200g (7 oz) uncooked short grain pudding rice
- 450ml (16 fl oz) water
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 450ml (16 fl oz) semi-skimmed milk
- 100g (4 oz) caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 60g (2 oz) raisins
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
Prep:35min › Cook:1hr › Ready in:1hr35min
- Place uncooked rice in a large (3L) saucepan, and add water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 160 C / Gas mark 3.
- In a large bowl, combine beaten eggs, milk, sugar, vanilla extract and salt. Mix well. Stir in rice and raisins. Pour into a 20x30cm (8x12 in) baking dish.
- Bake uncovered for 30 minutes; stir pudding and sprinkle with nutmeg. Bake additional 30 minutes or until a knife inserted halfway between the edge and the centre comes out clean.
Altered ingredient amounts. Oh was this ever dry. I added an extra 225ml of milk, a little extra water when cooking the rice and still it was like eating a bowl of rice. I added a little extra sugar because I like it sweet. The flavour was good-the texture not good at all. - 21 Jul 2008
Good basic recipe, but you need to: (1) BAKE it only for 30 minutes [instead of an hour] OR you MUST USE another 225ml of milk because it was too dry. (2) I'd also put in 4 tablespoons more sugar only because I like it a bit sweeter and 3) I'd butter the baking dish, and maybe add a Tablespoon of butter to this recipe. Good, solid comfort food :=) !!! - 21 Jul 2008
Yummy!!! how long will it last if i leave it in the fridge? - 31 Jul 2010