Slow cooker chicken tagine
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut into 2.5cm pieces
- 1 aubergine, cut into 2.5cm cubes
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced
- 4 large carrots, thinly sliced
- 60g dried sultanas or cranberries
- 65g chopped dried apricots
- 500ml chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons tomato puree
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 2 teaspoons garlic granules
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- salt to taste
- 250ml water
- 175g couscous
Prep:30min › Cook:5hr › Ready in:5hr30min
- Heat olive oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat. Place the chicken pieces and aubergine in the heated oil; stir and cook until the chicken is browned on all sides but not cooked through. Remove the pan from the heat.
- Place the browned chicken and aubergine in a slow cooker. Layer the onion, carrots, dried cranberries and apricots over the chicken.
- Whisk together the chicken stock, tomato puree, lemon juice, flour, garlic granules, cumin, ginger, cinnamon and ground black pepper in a bowl. Pour the stock mixture into the slow cooker with the chicken and vegetables.
- Cook on High setting for 5 hours, or on Low setting for 8 hours.
- Bring water to the boil in a saucepan. Stir in couscous, and remove from heat. Cover, and let stand about 5 minutes, until liquid has been absorbed. Fluff with a fork.
This was delicious. I didn't have an aubergine so I added half a finely chopped red chilli and a good dollop of mango chutney. I thickened it with McDougalls thickening granules when it was cooked - it doesn't go lumpy or alter the flavour. It took less than 5 hours to cook - 1 hour on high and 2 on low. - 07 Sep 2011
Excellent recipe, easy to make and tastes gorgeous. If your looking to eat something that's a little different from the norm then you must try this ! - 25 Aug 2010
Love this recipe - even better the following day x - 28 Apr 2010