1 / 2
15 people made this
About this recipe:
My favourite parkin recipe, arrived to after years of practice and tweaking.
110g (4 oz) dark brown soft sugar
110g (4 oz) butter
125 (4 1/4 oz) black treacle
140ml (1/4 pint) milk
225g (8 oz) plain flour
225g (8 oz) medium oatmeal
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
Extra time:4days23hr45min ›
- Preheat the oven to 180 C / Gas 4. Grease and flour a 20x30cm baking tin.
- Melt the sugar, butter and treacle over low heat.
- Beat the egg well and, off the heat, add to the syrup mix with half of the milk.
- Combine the flour, oatmeal and ginger in a bowl and pour into the treacle mixture.
- Dissolve the bicarb in the remaining milk and add to the rest of the mixture. Stir well, then tip into the prepared tin.
- Bake until the cake tests done when a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean (about 1 hour). For best flavour, keep in an airtight container for at least 5 days before serving.
Used different ingredients.
Didn't have any oatmeal so used porridge oats. It didn't work - tasted good but texture very odd.
- 09 Apr 2011
worked very well, family loved it, but it only took 30 mins to cook in my fan oven and certainly won't last 5 days! - (recommended storage before eating)
- 27 Feb 2013
Write a review
Click on stars to rate