- 1 whole chicken, cut into pieces
- flour for dredging
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 125ml dry white wine
- 3 large tomatoes - peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 100g fresh mushrooms, sliced
Prep:15min › Cook:50min › Ready in:1hr5min
- Dredge chicken lightly in flour. Heat oil over medium high heat. Fry chicken pieces briefly, turning to brown evenly. Add onion and celery; cook 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in wine and chopped tomatoes. Season with oregano, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover, reduce heat, and simmer gently for 30 minutes, turning pieces once.
- Pour in balsamic vinegar and mushrooms, and cook another 5 to 10 minutes.
Something else. Great recipe. I used boneless thighs fried them in olive oil and garlic. I also added thyme. Very flavourful, but next time I will double the sauce portion. I didn't bother with peeling the tomatoes...but I did seed the tomatoes as the recipe called for. If there was a difference to peel the tomatos, i'm not sure what benefit that would give me, because the dish was excellent without the extra work in peeling the tomatoes. - 18 Jul 2008
My husband and I thought it lacked some flavour. Next time I might try adding garlic to help enrich the taste. Served it over rice. I almost think it tasted better as leftovers. - 18 Jul 2008
Fantastic dish! Sophisticated taste, make sure to have rice to go along with dish, we thought we'd detour from the recipe and have fresh baked bread, it just didn't cut it for us. - 18 Jul 2008