Banana Poppy Seed Muffins
- 150g (5 oz) wholemeal flour
- 85g (3 oz) wheat bran
- 50g (2 oz) wheatgerm
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 4 tablespoons honey
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 225g (8 oz) mashed bananas
- 110ml (4 fl oz) semi-skimmed milk
- 1 dessertspoon fresh lemon juice
- 4 to 6 tablespoons poppy seeds
Prep:10min › Cook:30min › Ready in:40min
- Preheat oven to 180 C / Gas mark 4. Lightly grease a muffin tin, or line with paper muffin cups.
- In a large bowl, mix wholemeal flour, wheat bran, wheatgerm, bicarbonate of soda, baking powder and salt.
- In a medium bowl, beat together eggs, honey and vegetable oil. Stir in bananas, milk, lemon juice and poppy seeds.
- Make a well in the centre of the wholemeal flour mixture, and pour in egg and banana mixture. Fold together until just blended. Spoon into the prepared muffin tin.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes in the preheated oven, until a cocktail stick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
Used different ingredients. I substituted soy milk for semi skimmed, as my boyfriend is mildly lactose intolerant. Since I didn't have poppy seeds either, I substituted chopped walnuts. - 17 May 2009
I really liked this recipe, really easy to prepare using ingredients I already had, or ones I could easily substitute. Really tasty too! - 17 May 2009