Banana Wheat Bread
Serves : 12
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 100g (4 oz) honey
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 340g (12 oz) mashed bananas
- 255g (9 oz) wholemeal flour
- 4 tablespoons wheatgerm
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 60g (2 oz) chopped pecans
Prep:10min › Cook:1hr › Ready in:1hr10min
- Grease a 23x12cm (9x5 in) loaf tin, or line with baking parchment. Preheat oven to 180 C / Gas mark 4.
- Combine oil, honey, eggs, vanilla, and mashed bananas in a bowl.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, wheatgerm, salt and bicarbonate of soda. Make a well in dry ingredients, and add the banana mixture. Mix together until dry ingredients are moistened. Stir in nuts. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake 1 hour in preheated oven. Test for doneness, and cool on wire rack.
Used different ingredients. I used 4 bananas for this recipe and made muffins, baking for 20-25 minutes. I added walnuts, chocolate chips and sultanas separately to some of the muffins and left a few plain (I liked the ones with sultanas best). I didn't have wheatgerm but added some apple sauce (about 5 tablespoons) to help alleviate the dryness. A very tasty recipe. - 14 Jul 2008
Altered ingredient amounts. Very tasty - I've made this three times and adding extra bananas helps with the dryness, but then, so does spreading the warm bread with a little butter! Bottom line: an easy, healthy recipe. - 14 Jul 2008
Used different ingredients. My husband really likes this bread. It is quite easy to make since there is no rise time or yeast in the recipe. I found it a tad dry. I also took my bread out of the oven at 55 minutes and it was a little overdone on the edges. Definitely check your bread loaf for doneness frequently after 45 minutes. I added sunflower seeds and chopped walnuts and that was very good. - 14 Jul 2008