- 2 tins tomatoes with herbs
- 1 clove garlic, chopped or crushed
- 1 pinch sugar
- 1 pinch mixed herbs
- salt to taste
- 1 shake black pepper
- 1 handful frozen mixed peppers (use fresh if preferred)
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 to 5 mushrooms, sliced
- broccoli (optional)
- peas (optional)
- sweetcorn (optional)
- any other frozen or fresh veg you have available
- dash cooking oil
- handful spaghetti
- 1 tablespoon flour (for thickening if needed)
- small bowl grated cheese of choice
Prep:10min › Cook:20min › Ready in:30min
- Put a small drop of oil in a large pan. Chop and prep any fresh veg, garlic carrots onions and mushrooms.
- Add chopped onions and mushrooms, par cook until onions are soft, only about 2 mins. If using fresh veg put it all in the pan at this point for 5 mins, stirring regularly to combat burning, keep pan at a moderate heat 4/5 on the hob.
- Pour in tins of tomatoes, add the pinch of sugar and stir, turn down the heat to 2/3. Boil a large pan of slightly salted water for pasta.
- Add chopped garlic, mixed herbs, salt and pepper and stir.
- If using frozen veg, add it now. Add pasta to hot water and cook according to pack.
- Stir in 2 tablespoons of grated cheese. Let Bolognese sauce simmer for 10 mins.
- Pour your vegetable Bolognese into a blender and pulse gently until smooth.
- Pour sauce over your cooked pasta and serve.
if you find the sauce is very runny before blending it you can add a spoonful of flour to help thicken it up, just stir in well, it wont take away from the taste
when the sauce is pulsed you could add it to pre cooked minced beef, onions and mushrooms for a more adult touch, or use the leftover sauce to make a lasagne
make it the morning or even the night before... it always tastes better the next day
you dont need to use tinned tomatoes, you can use fresh, just remove the skins by blanching in hot water and peeling, just add herbs to taste (usually a tea spoon does it)