Kefalonian Beef Stifado
- 400g stewing beef
- 50g plain flour
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 10 shallots, peeled
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 300ml red wine
- 200ml beef stock
- 1 tin of chopped tomatoes
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 4-5 cloves
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and black pepper to taste
Prep:5min › Cook:3hr › Ready in:3hr5min
- Coat the beef with the flour, shaking of any excess. Heat the olive oil in a large pan over a high heat and then cook the beef until browned all over. Remove the beef and set aside.
- Add the shallots and the garlic to the pan and cook for a couple of minutes, until the shallots are starting to brown. Add the red wine vinegar and scrape the pan to release and stuck meat.
- Add the beef again and all other ingredients. Season with salt and pepper and mix well. Bring to the boil and then simmer slowly for 3-4 hours. Remove the cinnamon stick and bay leaf before seasoning.
Serve with chips and salad as a reminder of your holidays or rice or mashed potato for something a little different.
Something else. Done it in the slow cooker for 5 hours and just added some chopped carrots and cubed potatoes for a more 'complete' meal, served with some warm crusty bread. Would make again! - 27 Oct 2010
This was very good and easy. The only problem I was'nt sure what it was suppose to taste like and I am fond of wine in my food. Always seems like theres an after taste. So I cut it back a little and my husband and I love it. Thanks so much for sharing. - 08 Feb 2011
Really enjoyed this dish tho i would use less liquid or even add a little more beef! - 30 Mar 2012