Barbecued Vegetables with Couscous
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 red pepper
- 1 courgette
- 1 small aubergine
- 1 large red onion
- 85g (3 oz) frozen broad beans
- 1 (400g) tin chopped tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 175g (6 oz) couscous
- 225ml (8 fl oz) vegetable stock
Prep:15min › Cook:25min › Ready in:40min
- Remove the seeds from the red pepper, and chop into 2cm strips. Cut the aubergine into rounds about 1cm thick, and cut each round into 6 to 8 pieces. Peel the onion, and chop into 8 wedges. Trim the courgette, and cut into thick slices.
- Heat barbecue tray (charcoal pan) over high heat with a generous splash of olive oil. When it is very hot, add all the vegetables to tray. Press down occasionally to get grill lines across them. Turn occasionally to prevent burning. Cook for about 15 minutes, or until the vegetables are evenly browned and cooked through.
- Stir broad beans, chopped tomatoes and vinegar into the vegetables. Simmer for a few minutes while the couscous is prepared.
- Place couscous into a medium bowl. Add boiling vegetable stock, and stir with a fork. Keep lifting the couscous occasionally to prevent it sticking. It only takes 2 to 3 minutes to become soft. Place couscous in a large bowl or serving platter, and serve the vegetables on top.
Check out our BBQ how-to guides and videos for easy tips on how to BBQ to perfection!
Used different ingredients. This was wonderful!! I did make 2 substitutions, I replaced the aubergine with quartered button mushrooms and the broad beans with green pepper strips. I will definately make this again for a change. - 24 Jul 2008
I was disappointed in this dish. The sauce was overwhelming and none of the vegtables retained an individual flavour or texture. - 24 Jul 2008
This is a great dish full of flavour. Wonderfully colourful too. I served this with Chicken Breast. On the side I had Berber Bread and Black Olives. Also served with my Moroccan Mint Tea. Reminds me of my Morocco. - 24 Jul 2008