1 / 1 Picture by: Meg
Barley and Beef Soup
- 450g (16 oz) diced beef stewing meat
- 1 oxtail
- 4 tablespoons pearl barley
- 3 carrots, peeled
- 1 onion, peeled and left whole
- 3 stalks celery
- salt to taste
Prep:10min › Cook:3hr › Ready in:3hr10min
- In a large 6 litre stockpot, combine beef, oxtail, barley and carrots. Cover with water to within 5cm of top of pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer 1 hour.
- Place onion and celery in pot, season with salt to taste, and continue to simmer 2 hours more.
- Remove onion, carrots, bone and celery. Serve with crusty bread for a filling and warming meal.
If you don't have an oxtail, use any beef bone. You can easily source one from your butcher.
Write a review
Click on stars to rate
What did you think? Tell us everything!