Best Ever Muffins
- 250g (9 oz) plain flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 150g (5 oz) caster sugar
- 1 egg
- 225ml (8 fl oz) semi-skimmed milk
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
Prep:10min › Cook:25min › Ready in:35min
- Preheat oven to 200 C / Gas mark 6.
- Stir together the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar in a large bowl. Make a well in the centre. In a small bowl, beat egg with a fork. Stir in milk and oil. Pour all at once into the well in the flour mixture. Mix quickly and lightly with a fork until moistened, but do not beat. The batter will be thick and lumpy. Add any fruits, nuts, chocolate, etc. (see footnote below) at this point and gently fold in to combine.
- Pour the batter into a muffin tin that is either greased or lined with paper muffin liners. Bake for 25 minutes, or until golden.
Blueberry Muffins: Add 175g (6 oz) fresh blueberries. Sultana Muffins: Add 150g (5 oz) sultanas. Date Muffins: Add 150g (5 oz) finely chopped dates. Cheese Muffins: Fold in 125g (4 oz) grated Cheddar cheese, and reduce sugar by half. Bacon Muffins: Fold in 75g (3 oz) crisp cooked, diced bacon, and reduce sugar to 1 tablespoon.
Altered ingredient amounts. GREAT!!! I added a small mashed banana to the batter. Fill the muffin cases half full and add some chopped stawberries to some, chopped apples to some and dried blueberries to have a little variety. A great on-the-go breakfast for my partner who is on the road all day. - 14 Jul 2008
Used different ingredients. These muffins were really tasty. I baked them just as the recipe said. I used 150g dessicated coconut in the batter. I then topped them with some chopped pecans and more coconut.Delicious! TIP - To get your muffins to dome, preheat the oven to 220C. As soon as you put the muffin batter in the oven, reduce the heat to what the recipe says. The initial high heat causes the batter to have greater oven spring or the rapid rise during the first few minutes of baking. - 14 Jul 2008
Used different ingredients. Excellent base recipe for all kinds of muffins. It adapted really well so several substitutions: I used vanilla soya milk in place of milk, and honey in place of sugar. I also added two bananas, cinnamon and sprinkled oats on top. They turned out fabulous! Thanks for the great recipe! - 14 Jul 2008