1 / 1 Picture by: sakirol
Basic sushi roll
- 150g (5 oz) uncooked short-grain rice
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoons caster sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 4 nori seaweed sheets
- 1/2 cucumber, peeled, cut into small strips
- 2 tablespoons pickled ginger
- 1 avocado - peeled, stone removed and cut into small strips
- 225g (8 oz) smoked salmon, crab meat or tuna, flaked
Prep:45min › Cook:20min › Ready in:1hr5min
- In a medium saucepan, bring 325ml (10 fl oz) water to a boil. Add rice, and stir. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes. In a small bowl, mix the rice vinegar, sugar and salt. Blend the mixture into the rice.
- Preheat oven to 150 C / Gas mark 2. On a medium baking tray, heat nori in the preheated oven 1 to 2 minutes, until warm.
- Centre one sheet of nori on a bamboo sushi mat. Wet your hands. Using your hands, spread a thin layer of rice on the sheet of nori, and press into a thin layer. Arrange 1/4 of the cucumber, ginger, avocado and seafood of your choice in a line down the centre of the rice. Lift the end of the mat, and gently roll it over the ingredients, pressing gently. Roll it forward to make a complete roll. Repeat with remaining ingredients.
- Cut each roll into 4 to 6 slices using a wet, sharp knife. Serve immediately.
You can easily find pickled ginger, nori seaweed sheets and wasabi in your local Asian supermarket.
Make vegetarian sushi rolls by omitting the fish and adding extra vegetables if desired.
Write a review
Click on stars to rate
What did you think? Tell us everything!