1 / 1 Picture by: chibi chef
Bean, Sausage and Kale Soup
- 3 Andouille sausages, or any other spicy smoked sausage
- 2L (3 pints 10 fl oz) chicken stock
- 225g (8 oz) dry cannellini beans
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 pinch crushed saffron threads
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red pepper, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon sweet paprika
- 1 (200g) bag curly kale, leaves coarsely chopped
Prep:10min › Cook:2hr15min › Ready in:2hr25min
- Bring 450ml (16 fl oz) of water to the boil in a large frying pan. Add sausages, and cook over medium heat for 15 minutes, turning once. Remove from the pan, dice and set aside.
- In a large stockpot, combine the chicken stock and dry beans. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low. Add the bay leaf and a pinch of salt. Simmer, partially covered, for 2 hours. Discard bay leaf. Remove 110ml (4 fl oz) stock to a small bowl. Stir in saffron to the bowl of stock, and set aside to soak.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the sausage, and brown for about 5 minutes. Remove from the pan, and reduce the heat to low. Add the onion, and cook for about 5 minutes, then stir in the garlic and cook for another minute. Mix in the red pepper and paprika. Cook for a few minutes before adding the mixture to the stockpot along with the sausage.
- Bring the soup to a low boil, and stir in the kale. Simmer for 10 minutes, until kale is tender. Serve hot.
Write a review
Click on stars to rate
What did you think? Tell us everything!