Beef Caldo with Spinach
- vegetable oil for browning
- 500g (1 1/4 lb) beef topside joint, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 6 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 4 new potatoes, quartered
- 1 (700g) jar passata
- 1 (200g) bag fresh spinach, torn into bite-size pieces
- 120ml (4 fl oz) red wine
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- handful chopped fresh oregano
- 1 (500g) tub Joubere Organic Beef Stock
Prep:30min › Cook:1hr30min › Ready in:2hr
- Heat oil in a medium frying pan over medium-high heat. Cook and stir meat until well browned on all sides, then transfer to a large stockpot.
- Cook and stir onions in the same frying pan in the fat remaining from the meat. When lightly browned and tender, stir in tomatoes. Continue cooking until some of the tomato liquid has evaporated, then transfer to the stockpot with the meat.
- In a separate frying pan, brown the potatoes in a small amount of oil over medium-high heat, turning occasionally. Add the potatoes to the meat, along with the passata, spinach, red wine, garlic and oregano.
- Add just enough beef stock or water to cover meat and vegetables, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover, and cook for 1 hour.
Very easy to prepare - once I had browned the meat and onions, I combined all the ingredients and cooked in slow cooker. It was just too tomato-ey for me - 20 Jan 2013