Beetroot, Orange and Apple Salad
- 675g (1 lb 8 oz) beetroots, greens reserved
- 1 large orange
- 2 Granny Smith apples - peeled, cored and sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon raspberry vinegar, or white wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon caster sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons unsalted sunflower seeds, toasted
Prep:20min › Cook:20min › Ready in:40min
- Wash and dry beetroot and their greens. Shred greens to measure 100g (4 oz ) and set aside.
- Place beetroot in a saucepan with enough water to cover. Bring to boil, cover, reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes or until tender. Drain and allow to cool. Trim and peel off skins; cut into wedges.
- Peel and section orange. In a bowl, combine orange sections, beetroot and apples.
- Whisk together olive oil, vinegar, sugar, salt and garlic. Pour over beetroot mixture and toss well.
- Arrange beetroot greens on 4 salad plates. Top with beetroot mixture, sprinkle with sunflower seeds and serve.
Something else. I made this for a dinner party of 16 and it was a resounding success. I followed the recipe exactly, but I later experimented and can make the following suggestions: 1. Instead of fresh oranges, try fresh mango. 2. add some fresh rocket -- it's natural peppery taste really adds to the salad. 3. Slice the apples as thinly as you possibly can. 4. Use almonds or hazelnuts instead of sunflower seeds. 5. Use both golden and red beetroot. 6. Add some caramalised onions. To serve 16, I used one medium red onion sliced thinly, brushed with olive oil, layered on a baking tray and roasted in the oven at the same time I roasted the beetroot. It took about 15-20 minutes. The roasting brings out the natural sweetness of the onions, and they are not at all overpowering or onion-y. 7. Toss greens and the dressing, then add the beets and the warm ingredients at the last minute. 8. Don't make extra because this salad does not save well overnight. - 24 Jul 2008
Altered ingredient amounts. I used only one apple, and half the amount of garlic. I would cut the orange slices in half next time I make it - and double the amount of dressing to have extra. The greens were "dry" with the dressing only on the fruits. Excellent yummy salad full of great antioxidants. - 24 Jul 2008
This is a great summer salad. I grew some beetroot for the first time and had a couple of apples and an orange sitting around and this recipe was perfect! Light and wonderful in our summer heat. It went perfectly with a small steak and a glass of red wine. - 24 Jul 2008