Blueberry Polenta Muffins
- 160g (6 oz) plain flour
- 115g (4 oz) polenta (cornmeal)
- 100g (4 oz) caster sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 dessertspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 225ml (8 fl oz) buttermilk
- 225g (8 oz) fresh blueberries
Prep:15min › Cook:20min › Ready in:35min
- Preheat oven to 200 C / Gas mark 6. Grease muffin tin or line with paper muffin cups.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, polenta, sugar, salt, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda. In a separate bowl, beat together oil, vanilla and egg. Stir egg mixture into dry ingredients alternating with the buttermilk just until moistened. Gently fold in the blueberries. Spoon batter into prepared muffin tins.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes, until golden. Serve warm.
Very moist and tender, not too sweet. - 15 Sep 2008
An easy recipe to do with children. Good, but a little dry. Best warm with lots of butter or jam. - 15 Sep 2008
Very tasty and not overly sweet. I used thawed and drained blueberries. Texture very good. Moist but not mushy. I cooled them upside down in case they would be prone to breaking but the corn meal held its shape without crumbling. Still good the next day. I will definitely make this recipe often! - 15 Sep 2008