Chocolate and pear cake
5 people made this
About this recipe:
This cake is a must for any baker. The pear adds a lovely sweetness and makes the cake very moist.
220g wholemeal pastry flour
4 tablespoons soft brown sugar
12 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 pinch of salt
2 large eggs
180ml strong brewed coffee, cooled
125ml vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 to 3 large pears (peeled, cored and sliced)
- Preheat the oven to 190 C / Gas mark 5. Put a circle of baking parchment in the bottom of a 25cm (10 in) cake tin and lightly oil the parchment and the inside of the tin.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder and salt.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, coffee, buttermilk, oil and vanilla extract. Gradually stir the flour mixture into the egg mixture. Mix thoroughly until blended.
- Line the bottom of the tin with the sliced pears in a circular design and pour the mixture on top of the pears. Bake for 55 minutes, or until a wooden skewer comes out clean.
- Place on a rack and let it cool for 10 minutes. Run a knife around the sides of tin to loosen it and gently turn it out. Allow to cool completely before serving.
Has anyone made this? 12 tblsps cocoa powder seems an awful lot. Won't the cake be black and bitter? Is it a typo? 2 would be plenty
- 26 Oct 2014
Write a review
Click on stars to rate