Black Bean and Sweetcorn Salad
- 5 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 8 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 2 (400g) tins black beans, rinsed and drained
- 250g (9 oz) frozen sweetcorn
- 1 avocado - peeled, stone removed and diced
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 6 spring onions, thinly sliced
- 20g chopped fresh coriander (optional)
Prep:25min › Ready in:25min
- Place lime juice, olive oil, garlic, salt and cayenne pepper in a small jar. Cover with lid, and shake until ingredients are well mixed.
- In a salad bowl, combine beans, corn, avocado, pepper, tomatoes, spring onions and coriander. Shake lime dressing again, and pour over the salad. Stir salad to coat vegetables and beans with dressing, and serve.
Black turtle beans, or simply 'black beans' for short, are especially common in Latin American cuisine. High in fibre and packed with nutrients, they're a healthy addition to any dish. If you can't find tinned black beans, use dried.
Altered ingredient amounts. Great bean salad! I added much more lime juice, more garlic, a bit more salt and reduced the oil. Also, to avoid "mushiness", I added the tomato and avacado very last, after mixing the dressing in with the other ingredients. I gave it one last toss just before serving to coat the avacado and tomato. Very good! - 24 Jul 2008
Used different ingredients. This salad is so yummy and very versatile. The only changes to the actual salad we make are that we use finely diced red onion instead of the spring onion and add a bit more spice to the dressing. I’m not a fresh coriander fan by any means, but I think it’s vital to this salad. I just chop it very finely and use a little less. The only problem I have with this salad is that it doesn’t make the best leftovers. Definitely the best on the day it's made. - 24 Jul 2008
Great salad! Will definately make again... - 24 Jul 2008