Black Bean and Salsa Soup
- 2 (400g) tins black beans, drained and rinsed
- 350ml (12 fl oz) vegetable stock
- 225g (8 oz) tomato salsa dip
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 4 tablespoons soured cream or plain yoghurt
- 3 spring onions, thinly sliced
Prep:10min › Cook:10min › Ready in:20min
- In an electric food processor or blender, combine beans, broth, salsa and cumin. Blend until fairly smooth.
- Heat the bean mixture in a saucepan over medium heat until thoroughly heated.
- Ladle soup into 4 individual bowls, and top each bowl with 1 tablespoon of the soured cream and a sprinkling of green onion.
Black turtle beans, or simply 'black beans' for short, are especially common in Latin American cuisine. High in fibre and packed with nutrients, they're a healthy addition to any dish. If you can't find tinned black beans, use dried.
Something else. This is a fantastic recipe! Now know why there are so many glowing reviews. It's so easy (I was done, from start to finish in 15 minutes.) Now I can make the black bean soup that my husband loves so much right at home. Upon other reviewers suggestions, I saved one cupful of beans to add whole, I added 3 teaspoons lime juice, triple the cumin, 1 teaspoon garlic, freshly chopped coriander and 1/2 fresh green chilli. I also used the immersion blender and blended the soup right in the pot (talk about a great invention!). The soup came out perfect and tasted great with quesadillas. Next time, I'll probably saute some onions and add some sweetcorn for a different taste in the soup. Thanks very much for this recipe. - 24 Jul 2008
Used different ingredients. Add Sherry! I've used hundreds of Allrecipes and this is the first time I felt compelled to add a review. This is fantastic soup! I used extra cumin, splash of hot sauce, and added chopped coriander. I also added a splash of Sherry, as I know this is the secret ingredient in my favourite restaurant soup. Delectable! I planned to freeze the leftovers but we ate it all. - 24 Jul 2008
Adding to all of the other great comments, I thought this was very delicious and very easy to make. In spite of the simple ingredients, it was very flavourful. I added some leftover cooked rice to this and it added a nice texture to it. It also freezes very well without effecting the taste or texture. I have already added this to my "must-make" soups list. - 24 Jul 2008