Bread machine pretzels
- 225ml (8 fl oz) beer
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 380g (13 oz) plain flour
- 3/4 teaspoon dried active baking yeast
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon warm water
- 2 tablespoons sea salt flakes, such as Maldon sea salt
Prep:1hr › Cook:20min › Ready in:1hr20min
- Measure first 6 ingredients in order listed into baking pan. Select: Dough/Pasta Setting and press start.
- When the cycle is complete, remove dough to a lightly floured surface. If necessary, knead in enough flour to make dough easy to handle. Roll into a rectangle a little smaller than the dimensions of an A3 sheet of paper. With a sharp knife, cut into eighteen 2.5cm (1 in) strips. Gently pull each strip into a rope 40cm (16 in) long.
- To shape into pretzels: Curve ends of each rope to make a circle; cross ends at top. Twist ends once and lay over bottom of circle. Place on greased baking trays. Do not let rise.
- Combine lightly beaten egg and 1 tablespoon water; brush on pretzels. Sprinkle with sea salt flakes. Bake in a preheated 180 C / Gas mark 4 oven for 18 to 20 minutes or until done. Remove from sheets and let pretzels cool on wire rack. Enjoy!
These were very easy to make, but I will experiment a bit to get a tougher crust (my preference). - 14 Jul 2008
These were not soft/chewy but hard and dry ! The dough was very easy to handle. - 14 Jul 2008
Lovely! I used this recipe for my second-ever batch of pretzels, and they turned out perfectly. They taste like shop-bought pretzels, especially with the coarse salt. Careful with the salt, though: the pretzels are relatively small, so you don't need a lot of salt. - 14 Jul 2008