- 1.5kg (3 lb) boneless, skinless chicken meat
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 (500g) tubs chicken stock, such as Joubere
- 100g (4 oz) unsmoked lardons or chopped bacon
- 4 tablespoons long grain white rice
- 1 tomato - peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1 to 2 carrots, chopped
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 bunch fresh parsley, chopped
Prep:20min › Cook:1hr30min › Ready in:1hr50min
- To a large saucepan, add the chicken, onion and stock. Bring to a simmer, and cover. Cook over low heat until the chicken is tender, about 45 minutes. Lift the chicken out onto a platter, and set aside.
- Strain the stock through a sieve set over a bowl. Discard the solids, and skim off as much fat as possible from stock.
- Rinse out the saucepan, and fry the lardons over medium heat. Do not brown. Drain any excess fat.
- Return the stock to the saucepan with the lardons. Add the rice, tomatoes and carrots. Season with salt and black pepper to taste. Bring to a simmer. Cook until the rice is tender, about 25 minutes.
- When the chicken is cool enough to handle, cut it into strips. Return the chicken to the soup, and cook just long enough to heat through. Add the parsley, and serve.
Used different ingredients. Wonderful Recipe! EVERYONE loved it and many asked for a copy of the recipe. We used stock cubes to enrich the flavour and added a stalk of celery (chopped). It was delicious!!! There were about 50 - 60 people at our dinner so that gives you 300 stars!!!! - 24 Jul 2008
One of the best chicken soup recipes I have ever tasted. really a great flavour. - 24 Jul 2008
This was a great chicken soup. it reminds me of a spanish stew my mother made when I was growing up. I may add a few potatoes next time. Thanks for the recipe. - 24 Jul 2008