Catherine's Sunday Roast
Serves : 6
- 1.4kg (3 lb) beef topside roasting joint
- 4 cloves garlic, halved
- 1 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
Prep:5min › Cook:1hr30min › Ready in:1hr35min
- Preheat oven to 200 C / Gas mark 6. Secure roast with cooking string.
- Make 8 slits around the roast about 1cm deep and insert 1/2 garlic clove into each slit. Sprinkle with fresh ground pepper. Place on a rack in roasting tin.
- Roast in preheated oven for 20 minutes. Reduce heat to 160 C / Gas mark 3, and insert meat thermometer into roast. Continue cooking about 1 hour, or to desired doneness; remove from oven. Loosely cover with foil, and let roast stand 15 minutes before slicing.
- To serve, slice very thinly, and use the meat drippings for gravy.
I have made roast beef and lamb with this amount of garlic before and it has been a success and def not ruined the meat so not sure what you did but it should have been fine. - 16 Jan 2011
This is the worst recipe that I have ever tried. I followed it to the letter and it ruined a very expensive piece of beef and left me very red faced. I absolutely LOVE garlic but this was overkill and ruined what was a very tender piece of beef that I had cooked to perfection! I am tempted to send you a bill for the exepnsive piece of beef that your irresponsible recommendation has ruined. - 07 Dec 2009
Babajangas I can't believe how incredibly rude you are! You chose to try the recipe. The only person responsible for it not being how YOU like it is YOU. I also like a lot of garlic on my meat, it is all a matter of taste. Surely you had some idea when putting the garlic in if it seemed too much for your own liking? - 23 Feb 2013