Piernik (Polish spice cake)
Makes: 4 20x10cm loaves
- 200g caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 4 eggs
- 125ml milk
- 125ml vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 350g honey
- 500g plain flour
- 80g raisins (optional)
- 60g walnuts, chopped (optional)
Prep:15min › Cook:1hr15min › Extra time:1hr resting › Ready in:2hr30min
- In a large bowl, mix the sugar, cinnamon, cloves, allspice and eggs. Stir in the milk and oil and mix in the bicarbonate of soda. Place honey in a small saucepan and bring to the boil. Stir honey into the bowl. Mix flour into the bowl. Fold in the raisins and walnuts. Stir with a sturdy spoon for 10 minutes. Allow the mixture to sit 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 170 C / Gas 3. Lightly grease four 450g (1 lb) or similar sized loaf tins. Fill each loaf tin with about 5cm of the mixture.
- Bake 1 hour 15 minutes in the preheated oven, until a skewer inserted in the centre of a loaf comes out clean. It will be brown in colour and will be cracked on top.
A nice warm after taste from the Cloves and Allspice. Perhaps a little mild for some tastes. Not sure about adding the boiled honey to the mix, so allowed to cool. in case the honey cooked or scrambled the eggs. Worked out well, nicely risen in the middle. Will cook again - 23 Sep 2013