1 / 1 Picture by:
Slow Cooked Spare Ribs
- 8 meaty pork spare ribs
- 1 tablespoon light olive oil
- 400ml beef stock
- 120ml (about 8 tbsp) tomato ketchup
- 50g dark brown sugar
- 60ml lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed chilli flakes
- 1 tablespoon savoury seasoning
- 1 tablespoon dried onion
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 pinch salt and black pepper to taste
Prep:15min › Cook:4hr › Ready in:4hr15min
- Place the ribs into a large pot, and cover with lightly salted water. Bring the ribs to the boil, and cook for 45 minutes. Drain off the water and set the ribs aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a large, heavy pot over medium heat. Brown the ribs on all sides, about 10 minutes per side. Remove the ribs, and pour in the beef stock, tomato ketchup, dark brown sugar, lemon juice, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, chilli flakes, savoury seasoning, dried onion, nutmeg and salt and pepper. Stir the ingredients until the sauce has dissolved any brown bits of flavour from the bottom of the pan. Bring the sauce to a simmer over medium-low heat, then add the ribs back into the sauce.
- Coat the ribs with sauce, cover the pot, and simmer over low heat until the meat is very tender and falls off the bone, about 3 hours.
Write a review
Click on stars to rate
What did you think? Tell us everything!