Basic Plain Sponge Cake
- 225g (8 oz) self-raising flour
- 225g (8 oz) butter, at room temperature
- 225g (8 oz) caster sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
Prep:20min › Cook:25min › Ready in:45min
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C / gas mark 4.
- Measure all the ingredients into a large bowl.
- Mix all of the ingredients using a electric whisk.
- Pour the mixture into 2 non-stick 7 inch (18cm) tins.
- Place them in the oven till golden brown 15-25 minutes.
- Cool on a wire rack before serving.
The cake was sensational my whole family was fighting to get a peice.I even added almond essence to give it a bit of flavour !! My mum says I'm a young chef and I'm only 13.. DON'T BE SCARED TRY IT!! - 07 Jun 2012
I am really glad I found this recipe, did it the traditional way though - mixed butter and sugar first, added one egg at a time, added vanilla essence then sifted in flour and baking powder. - 02 Mar 2013
Been looking for an easy cake recipe for ages this is soo perfect!! Just baked it turned out lovely added chocolate chips and reduced the amount of sugar so fluffy and light only added 3 eggs and it turned out fine. Thank you so much for this delicious recipe - 26 Nov 2012