- Heat oil in pan and Add the onions. Cook until golden brown in color.
- Add the cinnamon, cardamom, bay leaves and black peppers. Cook for a minute and add the soya bean nuggets. Cook for another minute or so.
- Add the tomatoes and cook till they are soft and well cooked, about 5 to 7 minutes. Add the mint leaves and green chillies and cook for about a minute.
- Now add the rice, salt, red chilli powder and stir thoroughly so that all the ingredients mix well. Add water and let it simmer on high heat until the water evaporates partially. Cover the pan, turn down the heat to low and cook the rice for about 10 to 15 until the rice are tender and cooked. Add more water if the rice is not tender enough and cook for some more time.
- Garnish with freshly chopped coriander leaves.
This preparation will taste even better if cooked in ghee (Indian clarified butter). It can be accompanied by curd, raita, and salads.
If soy bean puffs are not easily available, you can use potatoes or mixed vegetables like carrots, peas, potatoes, capsicum, cauliflower, cabbages in this recipe to make a vegetable pulao.