Chicken and Mushroom Pasta
- 40g butter
- 2 onions, sliced
- 1 teaspoon crushed garlic
- 400g mushrooms, diced
- 1kg diced chicken breast
- 400g fettuccine
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 500ml milk
- 125g grated cheese, such as Cheddar or Gruyere
- 150ml double cream
- 100g baby spinach
Prep:5min › Cook:25min › Ready in:30min
- Prepare a large pot with water and place over a high heat to boil for your pasta.
- In your frying pan: add the butter, onion, garlic and mushrooms on a medium heat. Allow this to sauté for about 10 minutes depending on how cooked you prefer your mushrooms.
- Add chicken pieces, leaving until just cooked.
- Around now your water should be boiling and you can add the pasta to the water.
- In the frying pan, move the chicken, onion and mushrooms to one side of the pan, and add flour to the butter already in the pan (you may need to add some additional butter), mixing flour with butter until it bubbles.
- Turn off heat and slowly add milk, stirring with the back of a spoon to combine flour and milk.
- Return to a low heat, stirring while sauce thickens. Add cheese and mix through, then add the cream and mix through.
- Add baby spinach leaves, and leave on a low heat for about 5 minutes to allow leaves to wilt, stirring occasionally.
- Test pasta to ensure it is cooked al dente, and drain.
- Serve your chicken and sauce over pasta. Enjoy =D
This recipe is great! We all love it. I made a slight modification with the white-sauce part: have done it in a separate small pot as there are not enough space in the pan. Also add a bit of salt & pepper. Just something worth mentioning: this recipe can feed an army - very large quantities. Anyway - will go to my favourites to repeat in the future. - 02 Mar 2014
I made this recipe as its says, I just substituted spinach for basil as I didn't have any spinach. I always make tomato based dishes (watching the waist line!!) However, I am pregnant (and craving cheese.....) at the moment and using the opportunity to try out new recipes (Oh no there goes the waist line!!) It was absolutely delicious and my husband, who has just got in from a 10k run is in love with this recipe Thanks Tammay !! - 20 Jun 2013