- 2 large cucumbers, peeled
- 4 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 dessertspoons caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced root ginger
- Cut cucumbers in half lengthwise and scoop out any large seeds. Slice crosswise into very thin slices.
- In a small bowl combine vinegar, sugar, salt and ginger. Mix well. Place cucumbers inside of the bowl, stir so that cucumbers are coated with the mixture. Refrigerate the bowl of cucumbers for at least 1 hour before serving.
Used different ingredients. I give this recipe 4 stars because it's quite good but I made a few additions that made it 5 stars. I added some thin carrot shavings made with my vegetable peeler. The carrot tastes good with this dressing and adds a really nice touch of colour. I also added several drops of toasted sesame oil and a tiny bit of cracked pepper. Just before serving I added toasted sesame seeds. Everyone loved it - 24 Jul 2008
Used different ingredients. Excellent summer salad. Refreshing and light. I omitted the ginger and added some grated carrot and nori (seaweed). The perfect side dish for our sushi roll dinner. Even my toddler liked the salad. - 24 Jul 2008
This reminds me of a similar cucumber dish my Mom makes - this one's is just a bit sweeter. My mom also includes thinly sliced red onion in hers - it adds a nice little variety in texture. A deliciously light side dish. - 24 Jul 2008