Custard Filling for Tarts or Pastries
- 400g (14 oz) caster sugar
- 4 tablespoons cornflour
- 900ml (1 1/2 pints) semi skimmed milk
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Prep:5min › Cook:10min › Ready in:15min
- In a large saucepan, mix together the sugar, cornflour and 1 pint milk. If making chocolate, mix in cocoa powder. Bring to the boil and stir frequently until mixture thickens.
- Whisk together remaining milk with egg yolks. As filling thickens, add egg yolk mixture and stir frequently. Bring to the boil for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat, stir in butter and vanilla.
- Pour into baked pastry cases. Refrigerate until chilled. Top with fresh fruit.
This is far too sweet and it doesn't set when it's chilled. I don't understand why it calls for 400g of suagr? - 11 Oct 2012
The eggs and milk part needs to be whisked before even turning on the heat because the mixture needs to be stirred CONSTANTLY (NOT "Frequently"!!!) It will burn if you stop stirring it even for a moment. It seems to be good other than that. - 24 Jul 2008