Delicious Apple Crumble with Oat Topping
- 750ml (1 1/4 pints) water
- 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 200g (7 oz) caster sugar
- 1 dessertspoon cornflour
- 9 Granny Smith apples - peeled, cored and finely diced
- 75g (3 oz) porridge oats
- 100g (4 oz) butter, melted
- 50g (2 oz) dark brown soft sugar
Prep:25min › Cook:20min › Ready in:45min
- Preheat oven to 180 C / Gas mark 4.
- To make apple filling: In a large saucepan combine water, cinnamon, sugar and cornflour. Mix well, then add apples to pan. Simmer over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until apples are tender. Pour apple filling into a 23x33cm (9x13 in) baking dish.
- To make topping: In a small bowl, combine oats, melted butter and brown sugar. Mix well and sprinkle over apple filling.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes or until topping is golden brown.
Beautiful Crumble - have made it lots of times and its always a hit! Agree with the first comment about there being a bit too much water but just reduced it the next time I made it - 21 Oct 2011
This was not a good recipe Firstly, there was far too much water to cook with the apple so I used a slotted spoon to fish the apple out and then there was far too little topping that I added a further 50g of oats. Liked the topping, so might incorporate it to a more traditional crumble - 07 Sep 2010
This is the best recipe for apple crumble I've found so far! And SO quick and easy! But I would say use less water and make a bit more crumble. I also added prunes! Tasted lovely! - 17 Apr 2012